To partner with Courtney, click DONATE! Each inmate book sponsorship is $10

I WAS IN PRISON DOCUMENTARY

Don't let things raise your baby

No I am not referencing the movie Where The Wild Things Are, I am talking about actual material items. Don't let things raise your baby.

These days moms spend hours upon hours perfecting their registries, myself included. There is a baby item for absolutely everything under the friggin' sun. It gets to be so overwhelming.

I realized today that most of my baby "gear" just sits around, never getting used, and taking up space.

Now that I have had two babies and two baby showers, I have realized that most of the stuff I thought I "needed" I actually did not. In fact I am against most of it now. It is designed to make having a baby more "convenient" for mom. I got news for you, being a mom is not convenient. Ever. Embrace it because it doesn't last forever.

Babies sleep, and when they are awake they should be in mommy's (or someones) arms... Do you really want a full blown bouncing, lighted up, spinning, swinging thing to mother your baby? I don't.

If you are going to invest in a baby item, let it be a baby carrier of some sort, preferably a wrap or sling. Learn how to use it, and it will be your best friend.

Think about how much time your baby spends in some sort of contraption!! Car seats, swings, bouncy seats, strollers, bouncers, baby entertainment centers... Ridiculous. Babies learn from mommy, not a toy. Babies need your touch, not a glowing thing in their face. My best advice to a new mom would be to remember LESS is more.

Ditch the baby stuff. Embrace every second that you get to snuggle up with that sweet thing because time is gone before you know it, and you can't get it back. Sleep with your baby, wear your baby, nurse your baby, and guess what?! Happy baby.

We want to hear from you!!!

Name

Email *

Message *