To partner with Courtney, click DONATE! Each inmate book sponsorship is $10

I WAS IN PRISON DOCUMENTARY

This instead of That: Breakfast Edition

If you are anything like me then you read every label at the grocery store. You take wayyyyyy longer than you should to plan out your meals, and while you want to eat healthier, there are some things you just don't want to sacrifice in your diet!This is why I have found lots of healthier substitutions for stuff I still want to eat. 

For example, BACON! Everyone loves bacon, and if you don't I am convinced there is something wrong with you. 

The problem with bacon... it actually causes cancer. YUP, bacon causes cancer. Why? Well bacon. along with most packaged meats, contains nitrites. Nitrites are carcinogens and are used in the meats to preserve the color, but are not safe for consumption. That is the bad news...

Want to hear the good news?! You can still eat bacon! You just have to buy it without nitrites. I buy Applegate Naturals Uncured Sunday Bacon. Now, of course this doesn't mean you want to eat it for every meal, but a little bacon here or there is a beautiful thing! 

Top row are healthy alternatives to the chemical crap storm below them
Next thing you can buy a safe alternative for.... Frozen waffles. Ok, I am going to admit it. In the morning I am tired and my kids annoy me greatly until I get out of bed and feed them. The last thing I feel like doing is cooking breakfast so I try to keep easy stuff around, like frozen waffles...

Have you ever analyzed the ingredients in Eggo waffles, for example? Here is the ingredient list:

Ingredients:  Enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, vitamin B1 [thiamin mononitrate], vitamin B2 [riboflavin], folic acid), water, vegetable oil (soybean, palm, and/or canola oil), eggs, leavening (baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate), contains 2% or less of sugar, salt, whey, soy lecithin, yellow 5, yellow 6.

Do you know what those things are? I guarantee you probably never thought a waffle could have so many ingredients.. Yes you are reading correctly that there is ALUMINUM, oils that are genetically modified, preservatives and yellow 5&6 (which are known to cause behavioral problems.) Its basically a poison patty. That is the bad news.. 

The good news! There are other options for frozen waffles. The Nature's Path Organic ones I have pictured above are good! I know Earth's Best also makes an organic version. They are both made from real, wholesome ingredients with no GMO's, preservatives or food dye.

Last but not least, Pop Tarts. I saved this for last because it has to be the worst, in my opinion.... Here are the ingredients for those:

ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, DEXTROSE, SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL (WITH TBHQ FOR FRESHNESS), SUGAR, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF CRACKER MEAL, WHEAT STARCH, SALT, DRIED STRAWBERRIES, DRIED PEARS, DRIED APPLES, CORNSTARCH, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CITRIC ACID, CORN CEREAL, GELATIN, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL†, CARAMEL COLOR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, SOY LECITHIN, XANTHAN GUM, MODIFIED WHEAT STARCH, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, COLOR ADDED, TURMERIC COLOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, RED #40, NIACINAMIDE, REDUCED IRON, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), YELLOW #6, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), FOLIC ACID, BLUE #1.†LESS THAN 0.5g TRANS FAT PER SERVING

Let me ask you this, can you pronounce these ingredients?! I know I can't. Not only do these have preservatives and food dyes, but they have GMO's, hydrogenated oils, chemicals, and high fructose corn syrup. Pop tarts, my friends are NOT FOOD. They are poison. Throw them out and if you must have them try the version pictured above. Again these are Nature's Path. They are delicious and made from organic, REAL food ingredients.. 

I will give you a hint. When it comes to buying packaged food, I don't touch it unless its organic, and even then you have to be careful from time to time. I still like to indulge in the good stuff sometimes, but I want it to be real food and not poison that my body cannot recognize. When your body doesn't recognize something  as food it will cause many health problems, including cancer. Take charge of your family's health and start today!

The extra money you spend on organic, you will save in health care costs down the road! Remember that every grocery trip you make!



We want to hear from you!!!

Name

Email *

Message *