To partner with Courtney, click DONATE! Each inmate book sponsorship is $10

I WAS IN PRISON DOCUMENTARY

This instead of that: Taco night!

I don't know about all of you, but Taco Night is very popular at my house. We eat tacos for dinner at least a few times a month, and I love making them too because it takes 10 minutes and is an easy clean up.

Well, when I started eliminating all the unhealthy stuff in my pantry I realized that tacos would definitely not make the cut. Noooooooooo! I can hear their cries now! Well I came up with some darn good substitute taco making stuff so I wouldn't be slowly poisoning my family at the dinner table.


I will start by telling you about the shells.... Like most people, I previously used the Old El Paso shells. They are made of corn, they can't be that bad right? Wrong! Corn is one of the worst possible things to eat, unless its organic, and even then I try to buy it as seldom as possible.

The problem is that 88% of corn in the US is genetically modified. What does that mean? Well without making this blog 85 pages long, I will tell you that when lab rats were tested and fed a diet of only genetically modified corn, they grew huge tumors all over their bodies, became infertile and died prematurely...

GMO food is not food at all, and the body doesn't recognize it or know what to do with it. Soooo, start small. Buy your taco shells at a health food store and make sure they are made with organic corn (as the ones shown above.)

Taco seasoning: I have seen some great recipe on pinterest if you want to make your own, but if not just remember if you cannot pronounce an ingredient in your taco seasoning then don't buy it. Your seasoning should be only spices, if there is anything else in there it's a chemical or preservative. The one I have in the pic above passed the test in my house and is pure.

Last but not least the meat. Around here we don't eat a lot of beef. It is a special event when we do because beef is another big problem. I NEVER buy beef that isn't organic. Non-organic beef is full of hormones and antibiotics and is fed a diet of GMO corn. The best option for beef is to find some that is grass-fed, but I have yet to find a good resource for that, so we buy the organic beef from Costco.

Top your tacos off with some local, organic tomatoes, greens and onions and you have your new and improved taco night!

*Disclaimer: My husband complained that the shells did not have the flat bottoms like the "stand and stuff" ones that Old El Paso makes... LOL. If that is my biggest complaint about the change I think we are good to go!

We want to hear from you!!!

Name

Email *

Message *